Thanks Stephanie for the blog entry title that I stole from you! I do enjoy black friday, though maybe not in the same way others do.
Thursday: Repeatedly have and dismiss the thought that I really should go to bed until 12 or 1 am when I finally get smart.
Friday 4:28: Wake up 2 minutes before alarm goes off; stumble around in the dark while getting dressed and brushing teeth.
4:45: Arrive at shopping center Walmart is in and park near supercuts and Deseret Book. Cannot believe the ENTIRE Walmart parking lot is full.
4:50: After inquiring as to where my desired item is located (Store open 24 hours) I arrive as an alarm has been set off in the digital camera department. A very LOUD alarm. The customers surrounding said item are mistaking the alarm for some sort of signal that black friday shopping has begun! After shrugging at the attendant standing there I took one of the only item I really really wanted! :)
4:51: I stroll around to see if anything is left like $5 barbies or $7 kids jackets and find a nice little vacuum for $24, a new, bigger jacket for Jacob, and 2 pairs of $3 jammies for Ellie. The only thing I didn't actually get that I wanted was Madagascar 2, which is HILARIOUS! Apparently the movies went on sale at midnight.
Sometime during the hour of 6:00: I STARTED the morning off walking around like a zombie thanks to my late hour of going to bed. While waiting in an enormous line at Walmart the nice woman in front of me moved my cart up with her while I got us some McDonald's. I was SO hungry and THIRSTY! I felt like I hadn't had a drink in days! After checking out at walmart and hiking back to my car I decided to check Target, even though I knew the only thing I wanted was probably gone. There were actually now 2 items, since I didn't get my movie. I found Madagascar 2 within seconds of entering the store, discarded by another shopper, yay! After looking for a Bakugan gift (that I already had but could return and save $10) and an employee even checking the back for me, I was wandering around to check out the deals, with a distant hope in the back of my mind of finding my desired toy laying unwanted somewhere. Low and behold, I peeked behind the electronics counter and there was one laying there with other items customers had changed their mind about!! I quickly got an employee's attention and asked them to hand it to me. Yessss!
Sometime during the hour of 7:00: I actually checked out with 5 items, (the only other toys I had been interested in) but ended up returning 3 later. I had all my Christmas shopping done previous to this day, and I decided that the kids already had enough toys under the tree. (Yes, already wrapped). :)
Conclusion: I think the way to go is to set limits, decide on gifts, and have your shopping done by black friday, so that if you don't get what you want, it's no big deal. And if you DO get what you want, it's so awesome because you end up saving money and might be able to get yourself a nice small new vacuum! We have central vac here in my Mom's house but I find that I need something I can get out, use, and quickly put away again. The central vac stuff is more work and I feel like I have to do all or nothing when I get it out (thanks, depression!) and I certainly don't want it laying on the floor for days! All in all I am VERY pleased!
When I got home I did go to sleep, although it was not as sound as I would have wanted, what, with the kids playing gleefully in the other room with Daddy. I even opted to go to a movie after lunch instead of sleeping more and Mike and I saw Old Dogs. Very funny!
On a last note, I am so glad Jacob is learning how to read. As I wrapped presents the night before and placed them under the tree I thought, "Oh no. I really don't want Jacob to come out before we wake up, see the presents and get all excited thinking that somehow it's Christmas already." So I wrote in large letters on a note that I hung on the Christmas tree, "Today is NOT Christmas. Don't Touch!" Worked like a charm!
3 comments:
how did the note work? my kids would have the present torn open before they read it:)
haha I will have to retell my black friday shopping. Nothing like a prego running through home depot to make people part the sea of people! lol
Yay the holidays! Send me some snow. :)
I went again this year and it was so nice got just what I wanted and had a peaceful time unlike last year. We actually were sitting at my house at 12:20 playing scrabble when we decided we could play scrabble on the floor at walmart just as easy and be in line for what we wanted. Got to Walmart at 1 to find out item we wanted went on sale at 12 so it was sold out then we asked if they ad matched roberts we went for the cricut that is colred ended up getting white one becasue they ad matched
! Good day and home and in bed by 3 am
Post a Comment