So lately I've been wondering if the behavior of my oldest child is normal, or if there is something amiss. I have wondered this before with him, even taken him to a specialty doctor to ask about a behavior disorder or something.
Jacob is six and will be seven in a few months. He has always been very emotional which includes getting very upset when he doesn't get his way, and also being extremely loving and caring towards others, sensitive to when they're upset.
Some of his behaviors that still go on today follow. Whining when told or asked to do something, like, time to brush your teeth! Whines: I don't want to brush my teeth!!!! (fakey crying) Time to take a shower/bath! Same follows. Time to eat dinner! The same (not all the time). Trying new foods, going out to run errands, cleaning his room, it doesn't seem to matter what is going on he whines about it and fights me, trying not to do it.
Also, like last night, he just says and does things to purposely make me mad, I swear! Actually, even today I told him that he needed to get in the bath and he just said, "I won't get in!" When I was telling him he needed to wash his body he covered his ears and said "I don't want to hear it!" Hmmm....wonder where he heard that...?
I'm just frustrated and wondering if anyone has had the same experience with one of their children, if we just have to keep on keeping on, disciplining day after day, until hopefully, maybe, someday? they finally mature a bit?
1 comment:
I think it's pretty normal. Often you'll find as a parent, the way to change your child's behavior is through yours. I love the book "1,2,3 Magic!" can't remember the author but it's a very popular book on parenting and a specific disciplinary system. Pretty much made me enjoy being a parent again during a time when I was ready to run away. It takes away the "battle" and is so easy (after a hard week of implementing the system.) I used to have a copy but loaned it out and it was never returned. You could try the library or e-bay though. Good Luck!
Post a Comment