Monday, August 9, 2010

Cake decorating

I am practicing decorating cakes so I can see if I can become good at it. I've done two so far. The first one was cute but the frosting was FAR from smooth and the dot decorations were sliding. My second one I didn't really prepare what to do, just decorated with what I had. I think it's worse than the first one. I tried a rolled buttercream recipe to see what it was like to use frosting similar to decorate with as fondant, but actually taste good. I didn't end up tasting it actually, but I do know it was slightly dry because there were cracks on the surface that I couldn't smooth over. So, I might try rolled buttercream again, using a different recipe, or changing the recipe I used yesterday, we'll see. Before that though, I am going to try using my Mom's frosting and see if I can smooth that. It is the most awesome tasting frosting ever! I have many pictures of decorated cakes I like from online and I would like to try recreating some of those during my practice. Wish me luck
!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That one on top is beautiful! I can't believe you made it! I like the second picture too, although it's harder to see because of the angle. Keep up the good work!

Eden said...

I think that's such a fun hobby-- and useful too! I took a little cake decorating class from Robert's a few years ago (I am not as good as you at all!) and the teacher said it was such a great skill because sometimes we don't know what to give someone for their birthday-- or a gift isn't in the budget, but everyone always loves a birthday cake! You're awesome!