I have diagnosed myself with this. And don't roll your eyes, please, I have been researching this for many months and I truly believe I have it. I will copy and past some descriptions to help you understand what I have been going through.
"Binge eating is different from normal appetite increases or overeating from time to time. People with a binge eating problem consume unusually large amounts of food on a regular basis. They often eat quickly, do other things while eating (like watch TV or do homework), and don't stop eating when they're full. People who binge eat are usually overweight — even obese — because they habitually consume more calories than their bodies can use. As a result, they may feel bad about themselves and about their bodies.
Binge eating involves more than just eating a lot. People with this problem don't want to be overweight. They wish they could be trim and control their weight. Many times people who binge eat feel misunderstood. It's not as easy as others might think to just stop eating. With binge eating, a person feels out of control and powerless to stop eating while doing it. That's why binge eating is also called compulsive overeating.
Emotions often play a role. People with a binge eating problem may overeat when they feel stressed, upset, hurt, or angry. Many find it comforting and soothing to eat, but after a binge they're likely to feel guilty and sad about the out-of-control eating. Binge eating is often a mixed-up way of dealing with or avoiding difficult emotions. Usually, people who binge eat aren't aware of what's driving them to overeat.
Some people may be more prone to overeating for biological reasons. For example, the hypothalamus (the part of the brain that controls appetite) may fail to send proper messages about hunger and fullness. And serotonin, a normal brain chemical that affects mood and some compulsive behaviors, may also play a role in binge eating.
Unlike a problem with drugs or alcohol where part of the treatment is avoiding the substance altogether, people still have to eat. This can make it harder for someone with a binge eating problem to overcome it because the temptation to overeat is always there. So part of dealing with a binge eating disorder is learning how to have a healthy relationship with food.
As with any eating disorder, there is no quick fix for binge eating. Treatment can take several months or longer while someone learns a healthier approach to food. But with the right guidance, commitment, and practice, it is possible to overcome old habits and replace them with healthier behaviors."
Also I have suffered from depression off and on since childhood, not realizing it until about 7 years ago. The last seven years have been 'on' years. I also know I have very much anxiety and fears and am going to see a psychiatrist for a professional opinion. Is the depression a result of the eating disorder or a whole separate issue? Do I have an anxiety disorder that needs medication? I hope not. I also hope I don't need it for depression, I just got off of my others. Granted, getting off the meds has helped me to truly recognize all the troubles, which may hint at my needing meds, but I hope not. I also am seeing a psychologist to help me see my thoughts clearly and how they affect me, and to learn how to change them. ALSO I will be going to my first EDA Eating Disorders Anonymous meeting early next week. I cannot see how I will ever be healed, but I am willing to try. I really want to. From my current point of view, I will always eat for any reason and no reason at all, and continue gaining weight until I am morbidly obese...but I have read stories of others who are in recovery as a result of going to EDA and I really hope it can happen for me too.
6 comments:
As someone who has deppression and NEEDS medication I am a little offended that you seem to look down on something that truley helps.
Jenn, you misunderstand. I'm sorry. I do NOT look down on medication. I just don't want to have to be on it because of all the horrible side effects I personally had to deal with.
Dont you think that the way you feel now could be worse then a side effect? did you think you could have been on the wrong medication? If you are on the one that works for you there are not really side effects take it from someone who has spent YEARS trying to get on the right ones
Yes Jenn, I do feel that the way I feel, the way I *am* now could be worse than side effects. That's why I am going to see a specialist. There is nothing wrong with hoping that all will be solved with cognitive therapy and support, is there? Of course I realize that whatever is going on with me might need medicine. And if that's the case, I will take it, and hopefully find one that actually works this time, and doesn't cause me to sweat all the time. Bottom line, I want you to know that I don't look down on taking meds, or those who do! I don't judge others like that :(
Have you ever looked in to Body Dysmorphic Disorder? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_dysmorphic_disorder
I am not saying that this is what you have but I have watched you sort of obsess for years about your weight.
I for one to not see you at all as a heavy person. I have known you almost 20 years and not once had I seen you as heavy. I weigh 100 pounds more than you and still do not worry as much.
I am just concerned for you and wonder if maybe you just are having a hard time seeing what the rest of the world sees which is a healthy 30 year old that has had two children and eats right, lives a healthy life style and wears an average size.
I like the idea of planning a vacation, just me and you. Where do you want to go?
Post a Comment