Monday, January 3, 2011

Laying Down the Law

I know I need some changes in my life and two special people helped me decide what some of those changes would be. Thanks Christy and Rachel. :) Last night I drew up schedules for school mornings, bedtimes, and after school. I kind of already had these schedules going, but not as strict and spelled out for everyone else.

At the dinner table I first laid down the law about food. I told the kids that what I made them to eat, whether for breakfast lunch or dinner, they would eat, even if they didn't like it, or they wouldn't eat at all. We already do this to some degree, but I want to start being a lot better about actually making dinners, having a plan, and not having random items thrown together like applesauce, V8, and cereal, or whatever other crazy 'meals' the kids come up with. I did tell them that I would try to make things they like, but that sometimes they just won't like what I make and they need to eat it anyway because it's better than not having any food at all.

Next I laid out the new schedules for them: Wake-up time on school days (church days too, with slightly altered times) School starts at 8am.
7:00am Go potty and get dressed
7:15am Eat breakfast
7:30am Brush teeth and hair
Then we leave when ready, 7:45-7:50

After school
2:30pm After school snack
2:40pm Homework (ALL, including 20 minutes of reading time)
Then he can play

Bedtime
7:00pm Story (this one is way too easy for me and the kids to skip, but it's so important)
7:15pm Jammies and brush teeth
7:30pm Scripture reading and kids' personal prayers
7:45pm Potty and in bed! Also family prayer

So, yesterday was great, kids ate their veggies and spaghetti for dinner, and I can't wait to see the results of my hard work and sticking with it. There is a bit of room to wiggle, like if Jacob doesn't get up until 7:05 or 7:10...and if he is all ready in the morning with extra time, he can play some game time, but I think the structure is really going to help. I might just print up some decorative posters of the schedule and laminate them.

No comments: