Please excuse the mystery of this post. I will post again in 6 days at the most to explain my cryptic entry.
Today I was...well, let's just say I was doing a little 'project' outside in the hot sun. It took me longer than I thought it would to do it. In the end I think it was around 2 1/2 hours. Not only was my water that I brought almost gone, it was HOT! Ewwww. Don't get me wrong, I was drinking it anyway, trying to make it last, but it was gross. I was SO thirsty!
The following is very sacred to me, but I do feel it is important to share it with everyone I care about.
I said a prayer in my head, asking that one of the people driving by would stop and give me a drink, or ask if I needed anything. (I thought that wasn't unreasonable because I was doing something nice, where everyone could see me doing it - no matter that it was kind of self-serving; they didn't know that!) Immediately in my head was the thought, "Make eye contact". I thought, okay, maybe making eye contact with one of the people who is driving will be what prompts them to stop to talk to me. So upon having this thought (approximately 2 seconds after finishing my prayer) I looked up. There was a car coming and I made eye contact with the person driving. It was Nikki, who lives down the street!! I waved; she waved back and kept driving.
"Arrggghh!!" I thought. "If someone who knows me doesn't even stop why would a stranger?" Yes, I had a moment where I let my faith slip and I thought a frustrated thought. Isn't it good that Heavenly Father loves us so much he takes care of us anyway, as long as we let him? I continued my work and also prayed that if no one gave me anything to drink, could I please be okay until I was done, and returned home?
A few minutes later I heard a car as I was turning to walk a different direction. It was pulling over, right up to me! It was Nikki and she was holding a cold zero calorie lemonade drink out her window to me!!! (Oh me of little faith.) I immediately started drinking and thanked her profusely (I hope). I told her that I had literally prayed and I thanked her for listening to the Spirit and getting me a drink. It is so nice that we can be Heavenly Fathers hands sometimes and that through us he answers people's prayers.
I did say a prayer of thanks after Nikki left and finished my project. As it was I was sunburned and shaky with a headache when I was done. I hate to imagine how much worse I could have been.
In Retrospect, I should have known it would be Nikki who saved me! She is one of the sweetest people in the world! Also, I actually had thought of her when I first started thinking of who might help me. Thanks so much Nikki!!
Also, thanks so much to my Mom, who took care of my kids so I could get this project done right away!! Oh - and I did tell Nikki that what I was doing was self-serving, so she wouldn't falsely think I was a good samaritan. But now that I've had a taste of it, I think I might try harder to actually be a good samaritan in the future. :)
3 comments:
Nikki is the BEST! She has this way of making everyone feel like she's their best bud. She's my idol!
You got that right!
That's an amazing story, Katie. Those 'movie moments' are what link all the mundane things together and make it all worth while.
Post a Comment